Have you searched your Book of Mormon? Did you find those teachings --any of them? No! Because the Book of Mormon does not contain any of those teaching and yet, in its Introduction the Book of Mormon is declared to contain “The fulness of the everlasting Gospel.” Doctrine and Covenants Sec. 20:9 also makes that claim.
Yet none of those 20 beliefs, nor many others, can be found in the book, in fact, in many cases Mormon teaching is in conflict with this Mormon Scripture, the keystone of their religion.
Many Mormons will never have heard of some of those 20 teachings so let me list, very briefly, where you can check for yourself:
1. God was once a mortal man - “Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith,” p. 345. This is in conflict with Moroni 8;18.
2. God has a body of flesh and bone - Doctrine and Covenants, Sec, 130:22 and “Key to the Science of Theology”. Parley Parker Pratt, 1978 edition, p. 23.
3. God is married - “The Seer”. Apostle Orson Pratt, pp.37,158.
4. Men can become gods - Proclaimed by Joseph Smith on April 7th 1844 during a discourse known as “The King Follett Discourse”. Journal of Discourses 8:1-11; Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith p. 342-362; Teachings of the Prophet Lorenzo Snow quoted by Milton R. Hunter in “The Gospel Through the Ages,” p. 105-106.
5. Temple necessary - D&C n131:1-4; Mormon Doctrine, p. 779.
6. Jesus and Lucifer brothers - “The Gospel Through the Ages”, p.15
7. Christ’s Blood insufficient - Discourses of Brigham Young, p. 385; Bruce R. McConkie’s “Mormon Doctrine” p. 92.
8. Baptism for the Dead - Doctrines of Salvation 2:145, 149.
9. Plural gods - History of the Church 6:474, Conflict: Alma 11:26-29.
10. The Priesthood - Gospel Principles, p. 73.
11. Tea or Coffee - D&C 89; Journal of Discourses 12:223.
12. Three degrees of glory - Mormon Doctrine pp. 777-778.
13. The Holy Ghost, Son of God - “The Encyclopedia of Mormonism”, vol. 2 under the heading “Holy Ghost”.
14. Polygamy approved by God - Journal of Discourses 20;28. Conflict with the Book of Mormon, Jacob 1:15; 2:23; 3:5 etc.
15. Man needs woman to be saved - Brigham Young quoted by Spencer W. Kimball in “The Miracle of Forgiveness” p. 245; Improvement Era, vol. 21, Dec. 1917, p. 105-106; Gospel Doctrine p. 272.
16. Protective undergarments (A Mormons lucky charm) - McConkie “Mortal Messiah” vol. 2 p. 295; Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson, p. 357.
17. Voting on Official Doctrine - Mormon Doctrine p. 149-150.
18. The Black race - John Taylor, Journal of Discourses 22:304.
19. God has a Father and Grandfather, etc. - Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 373.
20. Church of the First Born - D&C 76:94; History of the church, 1:283.
Since these twenty distinctive Mormon doctrines cannot be found in the Book of Mormon, it becomes obvious that Joseph Smith did not really believe the Book of Mormon!
Since he didn’t, then why should you - or anyone else - believe that it is
“Another Testament of Jesus Christ.?